[Ads-l] verbing nouns

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 7 17:50:10 UTC 2021

"Primary" as a verb has come up several times here. The OED3 entry for
"primary" v., sense 3 (trans.) "to oppose in a primary election," has cites
back to 1958, and intransitive "primarying" goes back even earlier.

I provided the earliest known cites used by the OED for both transitive and
intransitive "primary" in a 2008 post:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2008-October/085065.html