[Ads-l] Dictionary transcription (was RE: A book for (some of) us)

Paul A Johnston paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU
Fri Jan 8 00:10:36 UTC 2021

I know the Trager/Bloch system of transcription as one that was frequently used in my undergrad days at Michigan, at the time when Labov's seminal NYC study was written.  It was very popular among American phonologists, not phoneticians, but we got it at some point of our training.  But then I went to Edinburgh, with Roger Lass as one of my supervisors, to do a variationist project on the vowel system of the Scottish Borders and northern Northumberland, which I completed in 1979.  One of the things that was taught to me was to be as phonetically true as possible in my transcriptions, so I shifted to IPA.  The Trager/Bloch system does not work where I was working, and even in NY, even as a phonemicization, is divergent from the phonetics where it doesn't have to be, and has fostered a bit of misleading descriptions.  The vowel raising in NYC, or the Northern Cities shift for that matter, is not simple raising: otherwise you'd have bad=bed or Paul=pole.  Rather, it is raising of the first half and ingliding or downgliding diphthongization, turning the second half into a schwa or (in Nhb.) a lower vowel.  The solution i was given was to transcribe long vowels as a V1+ a V2, with diphthongs having different vowels here, and simple long vowels as identical ones, so [a:] can be represented as [aa].  No agenda about a 6 vowel system here--and I've used this system in all my work, at least as far as diphthongs are concerned, in my variationist and my historical studies on English and other Germanic vowel shifting.  The formation of ingliding or downgliding diphthongs from earlier long vowels is common historically, including in English dialects (mostly British ones) and I mostly had to deal with them that way.  I'm a little more tolerant of /Vy/ and /Vw/ transcriptions, and I will accept them from my students, though in my work, i'll usually use high lax vowel symbols.  You can even argue for them with some emphatic pronunciations ("NOwuh!" that my students might use.  I dfon't see any similar evidence for /Vh/, though.
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Geoffrey Nathan <geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, January 7, 2021 4:10 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Dictionary transcription (was RE: A book for (some of) us)

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Geoffrey Nathan <geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU>

I want to thank Ben for this very helpful
guide, and for the pointer to the discussion
of Labov (and consequently other variationist's)
transcription systems.

As a bit of background, Margaret Winters and I
have a project looking at spontaneous folk phonetic
transcriptions, and a surprising number of naive
undergraduates are using the V+h notation to
represent lax vowels. I've been wondering where
they might have picked it up, since it's not
much used in ordinary user's dictionaries.

Parenthetically, my first linguistics class was an
introduction to linguistics taught by Al Gleason
(H.A.Gleason Jr.), and the Trager-Smith system
was what I learned first as an undergraduate
linguistics student. But 2018 Wayne State undergraduates
almost certainly never picked it up that way.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer (Retired)
Emeritus Professor, Linguistics Program
https://clasprofiles.wayne.edu/profile/an6993
geoffnathan at wayne.edu