[Ads-l] hit the ground running

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Mon Jan 18 00:15:48 UTC 2021

Title:	   Sermons and sayings. First series / by Sam P. Jones ;
            edited by W. M. Leftwich.
Author:    Jones, Sam P. (Sam Porter), 1847-1906.
Publisher: Nashville, Tenn. : Southern Methodist Pub. House, 1885.
            https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015063595501

I don't know what has become of all of those correspondents that filled
the daily papers. Why don't they sail in now? And if any correspondent
sails in let him sail in over his own name. If I can get him up here and
shake him you will see him hit the ground running. You can't shake a nom
de plume much, though.

Sam Jones also seems to have popularized "a hit dog will holler".

--
James Eric Lawson
Tacoma, Washington