[Ads-l] a cute expression that, unfortunately, died quickly

Tue Jan 19 00:35:46 UTC 2021

Fun topic, George. I broadened the search to include "lawn billiards"
which led me to a Wikipedia article about "Ground billiards" which
employed mallets, wooden balls, and hoops. Apparently, croquet is a
descendant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_billiards

The OED has "lawn billiards" with an initial citation in 1873.

[Begin excerpt]
lawn billiards n. = troco n.

1873   Young Englishwoman Nov. 572/2   Jean would feel obliged if the
Editor would tell her..if lawn billiards can be played on a croquet
lawn?.. Is there a book of rules on lawn billiards?
[End excerpt]

Here is a citation for "lawn billiards" in a London newspaper in 1834,
but this type of "lawn billiards" may differ from the version in the
1873 citation.