[Ads-l] bawdy = 'rowdily humorous; slapstick'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 21 21:33:38 UTC 2021

According to the L.A. Times, the key word is “entwine”, from the line

‘I’ll instruct you, like me to entwine; The myrtle of Venus with Bacchus’s vine’

Since as the newspaper helpfully points out,

'“entwine” is defined in any dictionary’.

—although they acknowledge the sexual allusion is “understated”.

So I guess we’re quibbling with that periodical over the threshold of what counts as “sex”, and therefore as “bawdy”. (I can’t count the number of pix I’ve received in which two kittens qualify as lying entwined in what I’ve always taken to be a platonic way.) Maybe it should be the L.A. Times rather than its N.Y. cousin that qualifies as the Gray Lady.

LH