[Ads-l] Adage: An army of stags led by a lion is more formidable than an army of lions led by a stag. Attributed to Plutarch

Fri Jan 22 19:40:43 UTC 2021

That is very helpful. Thanks, James.
Here is the 1948 citation pointing to Plutarch. The editor of this
reference book is Burton Stevenson.

I do not remember whether the mailing list can handle Greek. The entry
includes Greek and Latin. Further below is a 1689 book that lists the
adage in Greek and Latin.

[ref] 1948, The Macmillan Book Of Proverbs, Maxims, And Famous
Phrases, Selected and Arranged by Burton Stevenson, Topic: Leader,
Quote Page 1373, The Macmillan Company, New York. (Verified with
scans)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
An army of stags led by a lion is more formidable  than an army of
lions led by a stag.

(Φοβερώτερόν έστιν ελάφων στρατόπεδον ηγουμένου λέοντας ή λεόντων ελάφου.)

Plutarch, Chabriae Apophthegmata. (C. A. D. 95) The Latin is,
“Formidabilior cervorum exercitus, duce leone, quam leonum cervo.”

Many . . . had seen ... the fruits of bad leadership in Cabul, and had
learnt to value the truth of the proverb, . . . that “a herd of deer
led by a lion was more formidable to the enemy than a herd of lions
led by a deer.” W. F. Butler, Sir Charles Napier, p.l50.(1890)
[End excerpt]

[ref] 1689, Epigrammatum Delectus, Sententiae Breves (Short
Sentences), Number 102, Quote Page 428, Sumtibus Sam.Smith, Londini.
(Google Books Full View) link [/ref]
https://books.google.com/books?id=c9-MGH2aX44C&q=cervo#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Formidabilior cervorum exercitus duce leone, quam leonum cervo.
Φοβερώτερον όν ελάφων σρατόπεδον ηγεμόε λενΊος , ή λεόνων ελάφε.
[End excerpt]

Garson O'Toole