[Ads-l] bawdy = 'rowdily humorous; slapstick'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 23 00:03:27 UTC 2021

Yeah, and they also said the song was written for an "orgy club."

As a point of no interest, when I was in college in the early '70s, a
friend of mine mentioned that he had "heard" that Key's poem was based on a
drinking song that was "pretty bawdy."

So the story that the national anthem's origin was in something unsavory or
worse goes back for at least half a century.

(Note to students: in those days, anything stronger than the relatively
discreet Playboy was considered unsavory or worse. And even Playboy was
suspect in some circles....)

JL

JL

JL