[Ads-l] Quip: The New York Review of Each Other=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=99s_?=Books

Sun Jan 24 22:01:36 UTC 2021

Thanks, James. The passage from Philip Nobile you uncovered is
particularly interesting, I think, because he seems to be crediting
Richard Hofstadter with coining the quip.

[ref] 1974, Intellectual Skywriting: Literary Politics & the New York
Review of Books by Philip Nobile, Chapter 1: An Afternoon at the
Office, Quote Page 28 and 29, Charterhouse, New York. (Verified with
scans) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
The early history of New York Review is divided into three periods
that adhere pretty much to successive plays on its title—The New York
Review of Each Other's Books, The London Review of Books, and The
London Review of Vietnam.

The first period, so named by Richard Hofstadter, was historically
determined. In very early times, the Review had no place to go except
to the cheap (five cents a word) and local talent that also happened
to be authors or associates of authors of the sort of books to which
the Review was devoted.
[End excerpt]

Garson