[Ads-l] fail safe, antedating 1944?

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 26 17:02:16 UTC 2021

FWIW, when learning the Toyota Production System in the 1990s, I remember learning three or four terms in Japanese that had evolved euphemistically to remove the implication that factory workers are idiots (there were other terms that underwent such evolution). This is shown in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poka-yoke <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poka-yoke>. At the same time, I learned to equate English terms such as “fool/idiot-proof” and “fail-safe” as having similar values, though I don’t know if a similar evolution occurred.

The OED has 1874 for the earliest instance of “foolproof” and 1924 for “idiot-proof”. It does not have this meaning of “failsafe”.

Benjamin Barrett (he/him/his)
Formerly of Seattle, WA