[Ads-l] dude = 'person of any gender'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 27 21:17:37 UTC 2021

Yes, but I still think it’s significant that the context for “I’m the bad guy”, like that for “I’m the dude who…” is predicative, non-referential, and crucially unstressed. This tends to be the case for most of the other instances (leaving aside vocatives as well as plurals) in which “dude” and “guy” are essentially identical to “person” or “individual”, with no sex specificity, that I’ve encountered, such as the aforementioned “the other guy” (see below), e.g.

Steppenwolf was four people and I’m just one guy.
—actress Joan Allen hosting Saturday Night Live, 11/14/98 (cited in Steven Clancy's 1999 American Speech paper, “The ascent of ‘guy’”)

"I like sex just as much as the next guy".
--Kate Austen on "Chicago Hope"

they’d have figured it was me because I’m a girl and the other guy is a guy [rwoman explaining why she gave her name to an abusive caller on help line, gratia Steve Kleinedler]
[she’s] my go-to guy [Geno Auriemma, in women’s basketball context]

you’re the chosen guy! [Pike to Buffy on “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”, original movie]

I like sex just as much as the next guy [female character on TV medical show]

this 46-year-old little guy [see below]

(“Citizen avenger” Heather Peters successfully sued Honda over what she claimed was misrepresentation of the gas mileage she could expect to get in her Honda Civic.  As the ABC news coverage summarized the story, “Nearly three billion in profits and this 46-year-old little guy from West Los Angeles beat the corporate giant.”)

A number of these involve fixed collocations or idioms (the little guy, the next guy, one’s go-to guy), and I think “the bad guy” is certainly in this group, especially in contexts like “Don’t turn me into the bad guy” (as said by either spouse to the other, regardless of sex or gender identification).

LH