[Ads-l] Quip: The New York Review of Each Other=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=99s_?=Books

Fri Jan 29 12:31:11 UTC 2021

James Eric Lawson kindly sent to me off-list several excellent
citations beginning in 1929 concerning literary logrolling using
phrases such as: "writing reviews of each other's books". This
material was germane to this QI article:

The New York Review of Each Other’s Books
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2021/01/24/review/

Inspired, I conducted some further searches and added some
thematically pertinent citations from the 1800s containing forms of
the precursor phrase: "review each other's books".

April 20, 1838, Morning Advertiser ("others'" should be "other's")
[Begin excerpt]
Authors sometimes review their own books, and sometimes they review
each others’ books.
. . .
“these two former gentlemen actually reviewed each other’s works.”
[End excerpt]

April 9, 1866, The Edinburgh Evening Courant,
[Begin excerpt]
. . . little knot of mediocrities and parasites—all writing books
themselves and reviewing each other's books . . .
[End excerpt]

January 25, 1890, The Wakefield Free Press,
[Begin excerpt]
His days have been passed far away from the busy haunts of men, and
outside mutual admiration circles, the members of which review each
other's books.
[End excerpt]

The 1929 citation uncovered by James appeared in the novel "Clash" by
Ellen Wilkinson who was a Member of the U.K. Parliament. A book
reviewer reprinted a passage from the work lambasting an influential
coterie:

1929 April 20, 1929, The Leeds Mercury
[Begin excerpt]
. . . exclusive Bloomsbury circle who bestowed fame on themselves by
writing reviews of each other’s books. As each slender work appeared
it was greeted as a new Tchehov, a more sensitive Dostoievsky, a
respringing of the fountain of Shelley’s genius. Most people read the
reviews and not the books, and as all they wanted was to be told which
was the book of the hour the circle was accepted as the last word in
literary genius.
[End excerpt]

Garson