[Ads-l] extremist-adjacent

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 31 18:12:39 UTC 2021

I don't recall the WOTY discussion, but we had a thread on "X-adjacent"
here in 2015:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2015-August/138404.html

And I was quoted, along with Peter Sokolowski and others, in this 2019 NYT
Styles piece:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/16/style/are-you-adjacent.html

In both, I suggest an origin in real-estate lingo. Here's a 1989 article
with "Beverly Hills-adjacent":

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-10-08-re-112-story.html
Los Angeles Times, Oct. 8, 1989
"The BHPO [Beverly Hills Post Office] is not to be confused with 'Beverly
Hills Adjacent,' which is used in real estate ads for other areas skirting
the city."

--Ben