[Ads-l] on the fritz, on the friz

dave@wilton.net dave at WILTON.NET
Sun Jun 6 15:21:49 UTC 2021

I recently updated my page on "on the fritz" [ https://www.wordorigins.org/big-list-entries/fritz-on-the ]( https://www.wordorigins.org/big-list-entries/fritz-on-the )

I think these examples are dealing with spelling variants of three distinct lexical items: "on the fritz," friz/froze, and friz/fizz. So, most of these citations are not evidence for "on the fritz."

I'm pretty sure, for example, the Jimmy the Bunco one is "friz" meaning "fizz"; he doesn't like carbonated drinks. That seems to be the context from a larger selection of the text, and "frizzle" is established slang from the period meaning champagne.

And all the "friz up" examples are just dialectal spellings of "froze up." I don't see any connection from these to "on the fritz." The Santa Claus example, for instance, is simply coincidence. References to Santa Claus are likely to be in the context of it being cold; Santa's sleigh requires snow, hence he is "on the fritz" if there is none. And Santa Claus being frozen because there isn't snow doesn't make much sense.

I don't have a preferred explanation for "on the fritz." I think it's squarely in the "origin unknown" category, without any compelling hypotheses to explain it.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Stephen Goranson" <goranson at DUKE.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, June 6, 2021 10:12am
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: [ADS-L] on the fritz, on the friz

Reminder, though the brief language log entry
https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=37303
Language Log » "On the fritz" at Sing Sing<https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=37303>
19 Comments jin defang said, March 18, 2018 @ 12:17 pm I'd always assumed it comes from "frisson," which may itself derive from freezing, as in freeze up
languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu

on the phrase gives limited associations with freezing, unlike what one might read on the interwebs, there are more:

Of course “friz” is pronounced in different ways, as attested in the following two different rhymes.

(1) A Sovereign Remedy
Deep breathing is the thing to try if you are feeling slack;
It brightens the lack-luster eye and straightens the back;….
Deep breathing is the thing for you if you are on the fritz;
It drives away the devils blue and sharpens up the wits;….
–Washington Herald
(Feb. 5 1908 Trenton [NJ] Evening Times p.6 col. 3 America’s Historic Newspapers)

(2) Rudyard Kipling still adheres to his opinion of Canada as “Our Lady of the Snows.” He has sent the following skit to Lady Marjorie Gordon, the editor of “Wee Willie Winkie,” a juvenile magazine:
“There was once a small boy of Quebec,
Who was buried in snow to the neck.
When asked: “Are you friz?”
He replied: “Yes, I is.
But we don’t call this cold in Quebec.”
–Albany Journal
(July 23, 1897, Salt Lake [UT] Semi-Weekly Tribune, p. 4 col. F, 19th Century US Newspapers)

I suggest that the personal name Fritz is not the origin of “on the friz/fritz.”

Stephen