[Ads-l] mulligan (golf)--warning: speculative

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 8 13:15:54 UTC 2021

Since you showed a 1936 cute from Brooklyn, I checked the Brooklyn Eagle
archive. There is a reference to an "Alibi stroke golf tournament" -- every
player received four alibi strokes -- on August 24, 1930.

In the 20s, there are frequent mentions of alibis as excuses for playing
badly, including a quote of Walter Hagen calling golf "the greatest of
alibi games" (December 2, 1927).