[Ads-l] Antedating of "Yankee Doodle"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 4 12:28:35 UTC 2021

An occurrence well known to Doodlers. OED should be ashamed.

Also of interest:

The second strain of the tune as usually played today differs from
nineteenth-century versions.

The character speaking in "The Disappointment," oddly named Raccoon ("An
old debauchee") seems to utilize blackface dialect, but he's evidently
French. (Cf. Princess Catherine in "Henry V.")

JL