[Ads-l] ten-shun; ten-hut

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 5 16:58:12 UTC 2021

I see Barry Popik already has a page on "ten-hut" with examples going back
to Nov. 22, 1942.

---
https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/ten_hut
22 November 1942, Boston (MA) Sunday Globe, “‘This Is The Army’ ‘Ladies’
Top Kick Tells All” by Marjory Adams, pg. 18, col. 4:
They forego their womanly ways while being roared at by the “top kick,”
Sergt. Anderson. They respond with manly vigor when “Ten-Hut,” which is the
new way of saying “Attention” and “Forward Harch,” which is the new way of
saying “Forward March,” is bawled at them. It appears that an “h” can be
barked out with more emphasis than an “s” or an “m.”
---