[Ads-l] Word: dead stock / deadstock =?Windows-1252?Q?=96_?=never worn footwear or clothing; alternative definition: never sold items

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY DEVCOM AVMC (USA) 0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Thu Mar 11 19:35:50 UTC 2021

I typically see this sort of material referred to as "New Old Stock", often in abbreviation:  NOS.  For example, in reference to unused auto parts for older vehicles.

Ebay currently has over a million listings including "NOS" in the title.

----

OED actually has quotes for the sense of "unsold/commercially inactive
capital" going back to 1622. I was able to find an 1897 instance of it
being applied to unsold clothing offered for resale:
https://books.google.ca/books?id=xn07AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA295&dq=%22deadstock%22
"felt hats of various antiquated shapes, hard and soft, the deadstock of
the shops of Bombay, Calcutta and London" [describing goods sold in Laotian
shops]

There's also another sense of "farm tools" (in contrast to livestock). A
search for "live and dead stock" on Google or Google Books brings up lots
of old farm auction catalogues and similar.

To its credit, Wiktionary lists both senses:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/deadstock.