[Ads-l] to kamashaw something

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Mon Mar 15 21:43:50 UTC 2021

I expect this is a variant of _cumshaw_, ultimately from Amoy, originally referring to a gratuity or (more broadly) a bribe, but evolving into something along the lines of what you're describing.

HDAS has this as sense 2 of _cumshaw_ v., 'to obtain by devious or ingenious methods; scrounge', with a first quotation from 1918 in US Navy use, and frequent in the Vietnam War.

Jesse Sheidlower