[Ads-l] antedating medallion

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 23 21:24:09 UTC 2021

I am doing this from memory, but I remember that when the Hack Bureau was
started in NYC in 1925, there was a big mess because it went along with a
campaign to remove the old "discs" from cabs, and only issue new discs when
the Hack Bureau inspected the car and checked the operation of the meter. I
presume the 1927 reference to "medallion" meant those discs.

Here's an example of a 1925 NYTimes articles mentioning the discs:
https://www.nytimes.com/1925/04/12/archives/praise-and-assail-police-taxi-rule-director-of-commerce-chamber.html

DanG