[Ads-l] Antedating of "Supermarket"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 26 11:13:11 UTC 2021

supermarket (OED 1931)

1922 Salt Lake Telegram 30 June 4 (Newspapers.com)  (advertisement) Z. C. M. I. Meat Department "THE SUPER-MARKET"

1925 Los Angeles Times 27 Apr. II. 17 (Newspapers.com)  (classified advertisment) SPACE is established super market.

1926 Oakland Tribune 25 June 8-M (Newspapers.com)  (advertisement) Visit our new stores. To acquaint you with these new, super-markets ... we are giving to the first one thousand customers in each market a large loaf of bread FREE.

Fred Shapiro