[Ads-l] trollop

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 27 23:33:18 UTC 2021

> On Mar 27, 2021, at 6:22 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> I.e., 'tripe.'
>
> IMDb, 2006:
>
> "I think the best metaphor for this piece of disgusting trollop is how Brad
> Pitt chose to 'act' in this film."
>
> JL

Or maybe it’s just the northeast Scottish trollop, i.e. 'a large, unseemly, straggling mass of anything’.
(Jamieson's 1880 Etymological Dictionary of the Scottish Language, s.v. _trollop_, cited at OED entry, sense 3)

Not that Brad Pitt is what first comes to mind when visualizing a large unseemly straggling mass, but chacun à son goût.  And his hair can be pretty straggly.