[Ads-l] Ur ("prototypical")

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Wed Mar 31 20:24:57 UTC 2021

I was trying to trace back urtext (extremely common word, not only in
scholarly circles but for example among classical musicians as in "urtext
edition of [piece]") in English via Google Books. I find some from the late
1800s, but the vast majority of earlier hits are in German (even if I
remove German from the result languages list).

Ur- is still quite a productive prefix in German, and present in a long
list of dictionary words. One of them being Urinstinkt ("ancestral
instinct"), which comes with a warning against end-of-line separation in
the middle (ie. avoid Urin-stinkt).

Chris

Chris Waigl . chris.waigl at gmail.com . chris at lascribe.net
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net . http://chryss.eu