[Ads-l] antedating (?) of milli-helen

Sat May 1 20:14:36 UTC 2021

Here is some additional extracted text from the match in "Punch".

Year: 1954 (GB date)
Periodical: Punch
Volume 226
Quote Page 737
Database: Google Books; snippet match; data may be inaccurate and must
be verified

[Begin excerpt]
Saving on the Slipway

Scientists and aesthetes alike have
heard with interest that the "unit of
absolute beauty" has been invented
by a professor of natural philos-
ophy, who calls it a Helen and
explains that it is divisible into milli-
helens. It is hoped that the millihelen . . .
[End excerpt]

Here is the claim that Asimov made in "Asimov Laughs Again".

Year: 1993 (1992 Copyright)
Book: Asimov Laughs Again: More Than 700 Favorite Jokes, Limericks and Anecdotes
Author: Isaac Asimov,
Joke Number 365
Quote Page 200
Publisher: HarperPerennial: HarperCollins Publishers, New York

[Begin excerpt]
During the days when I was a graduate student in the early forties, we
were dealing with chemistry in which there were a great many units
used in measuring various quantities—in particular, the entire metric
system. A friend of mine, Mario Castillo, and I therefore whiled away
one lunch period by making up units and I finally came up with the
"millihelen," which is enough beauty to launch one ship. (After all,
Helen of Troy had a "face that launched a thousand ships.")
Years later, I saw "millihelen" in Time, and it wasn't attributed to me, either.
[End excerpt]

Garson