[Ads-l] Miscellany

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 2 00:15:55 UTC 2021

1
In the '50s and '60s it was thought comical to ask, "Wotsa matta you?"
("What's the matter with you?") in a pseudo-Italian accent.  One story-line
of Rocky and Bullwinkle mentioned the football squad of  "Wotsamatta U."

But it seems originally to have been pseudo-Chinese (or maybe pidgin):

1877 _Arizona Weekly Citizen_ (Oct. 20) 4:  What's a matta you? You clazy?

1907 _The World To-Day_ (Feb.) 237: [Caption:] "Will there be war between
the United States and Japan?" [Japanese cartoon figure says:] Aw, wha sa
maller you! Uncle Sammy my bes' flen'.

1916 _Honolulu Advertiser_ (Apr. 30) 4: What a matta you? ...Wikiwiki
police take.

1956 _Columbus [O.] Dispatch_ (Sept. 23) 21-A: A waitress in Seoul
declares: "Whatsa matta you? Chicken hava no. Sukoshi ham hava yes."

1980 Joe Dolce "Shaddup You Face" (pop song): What'sa matta you, hey?/
Gotta no respect!

1984 _Lassen County Times_  [Susanville, Calif.] (Feb. 8) 19: To Dave at
Gumbas. Roses are red, Violets are blue. Your pizza is perfect. What's 'a
matta you>"

2
At about the same time (ca1960), you could indicate someone was a "square"
with the following gesture:  Place index fingers side by side. Move one
left, one right about the same distance simultaneously. Move them downward
in parallel a similar distance. Bring them straight together.

The gesture is plainly shown in the movie _Young Man's Fancy_ (1952).

3
1996 _MA. v. Womack_ ( Court TV) (March 14):  I used the F-word every few
words [in my extortion note]. I wanted the letter to be serious, but to add
a note of comedy to it.

JL