[Ads-l] Disease names and geography

Sun May 2 00:56:02 UTC 2021

It would probably be difficult to convince journalists and newscasters
to use names like "B117 variant". Shorter and simpler names for
variants would be helpful. Four character alphanumeric strings are
unlikely to achieve much traction.

Journalists might be willing to use names like Covid alpha variant,
Covid beta variant, Covid gamma variant, et cetera. But a scientific
body would have to assign those names. Scientists are probably
identifying an enormous number of variants at this time based on the
mutating genetic sequence of the virus. Therefore, to follow this
naming scheme only a subset of variants should be given simpler names
based on prevalence or importance.

The WHO guidelines for disease naming also state:
Disease names may NOT include people’s names.
Examples to be avoided: Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, Chagas disease.

Interestingly, the tropical cyclone naming scheme in the U.S. is based
on common (and uncommon) first names. The 2021 list includes: Ana,
Bill, Claudette, Danny, Elsa, Fred. Are people unhappy when their
first name is also the name of a deadly hurricane?

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

Garson