[Ads-l] Milli-Helen: The quantity of beauty required to launch exactly one ship

Sun May 9 22:27:34 UTC 2021

Thanks for your response, GAT.

The novel "The Rebel Angels" by Robertson Davies contains a passage
that ascribes the creation of "millihelen" to W. A. H. Rushton. This
origin story for millihelen is mentioned in the Wikipedia article for
"Helen (unit)", and I decided to mention it in the QI article.

The Wikipedia article describes W.A.H. Rushton as a "Cambridge
mathematician". This description is, almost certainly, taken from the
novel which states that Rushton was a "great Cambridge mathematician".

However, the novel is not reliable. I found, as you did, that Rushton
was a physiologist at Cambridge and not a mathematician. I also found
that the novel contained a fictional school called "the College of St.
John and the Holy Ghost" nicknamed "Spook". Thus, arguably, the novel
takes place in an alternate universe.

Below is the discussion from the Quote Investigator article.

[Begin excerpt from QI article]
In 1981 a character in the novel “The Rebel Angels” by Robertson
Davies referred to the “Rushton Scale”. The character elaborated on
the definition and employed the term “millihelen”. In the alternate
universe of the novel, W. A. H. Rushton was a mathematician. In this
universe, Rushton was a Professor of Physiology at Trinity College,
Cambridge:

[Begin nested quotation from novel]
“Surely you know it? Devised by W. A. H. Rushton, the great Cambridge
mathematician? Well, it’s this way: Helen of Troy is accepted as the
absolute in female beauty, and we have it on a poet’s authority that
her face launched a thousand ships. But clearly ‘face’ implies the
whole woman. Therefore let us call a face that launches a thousand
ships a Helen. But what is a face that launches only one ship?
Obviously a millihelen.”
[End nested quotation from novel]

[Begin excerpt from QI article]

Garson