[Ads-l] Die, my dear doctor! That=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=99s_?=the last thing I shall do

Wed May 12 13:08:53 UTC 2021

Back on April 27, 2021 Pete Morris discovered and shared a valuable
citation for the quip in the subject line. I have now updated the
Quote Investigator article (there will be a delay before the update is
visible):

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2021/04/25/last-thing/

[Begin acknowledgement update]
Special thanks to Pete Morris who located the important citation in
“Colburn’s United Service Magazine”.)
[End acknowledgement update]

Pete located a crucial passage in a December 1866 issue of the London
journal “Colburn’s United Service Magazine”:

[Begin excerpt]
. . . the latest mot was added the other day by Lord Palmerston, who
during his late attack of gout exclaimed, playfully, ‘Die, my dear
doctor! That’s the last thing I think of doing.’
[End excerpt]

The above passage appeared in a review of John Cordy Jeaffreson's
forthcoming work "A Book About Lawyers". The reviewer was reprinting
the Palmerston quotation from the book. Jeaffreson's book was
officially published in 1867. So the review appeared before the
official publication date of the book (a common occurrence).

I found newspaper accounts indicating that Lord Palmerston suffered
from gout repeatedly during the 1860s, and I added a few of these
citations to the QI article.

Garson