[Ads-l] retcon

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 13 17:19:28 UTC 2021

The problem is that rec.arts.comics, like many other newsgroups, is not
comprehensively covered by the Google Groups archive before 1990. That
spottiness is borne out by the fact that the earliest cite for "retcon" in
OED3/HDSF (Aug. 15, 1989) is from rec.arts.sf-lovers and
not rec.arts.comics, where everyone says it originated. If we were able to
access another archive of rec.arts.comics posts from the late '80s, I'm
betting that Cugley's claim would be confirmed.

More from Cugley here: https://alleged.org.uk/pdc/2012/12/03.html
He writes: "I would like to cite my original USENET postings, but alas! I
have not been able to roll back Google’s USENET archives (now part of
Google groups) further back than 1990."

While I'm griping about Google Groups... I can't even find that 8/15/89
rec.arts.sf-lovers post in the current archive. Can anyone else get to it?

1989   Re: New Star Wars Film? in rec.arts.sf-lovers (Usenet newsgroup) 15
Aug.   Lucas retconned the opening credits after the release of TESB, once
it was clear that the films were doing well enough that the first set would
be completed.

--bgz