[Ads-l] "short-bus people"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 20 03:03:28 UTC 2021

Pretty certain we had a short bus for special ed students in my small, rural hometown that dozens of regular sized busses coming in from the country in the 1960s.
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 6:53:00 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: "short-bus people"

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>

The 2006 edition of Partridge has "ride the short bus" with a first
citation in 1995. Further below is a December 1994 citation.

Year: 2006
Book: The New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English,
Volume 2: J-Z,
Editors: Tom Dalzell and Terry Victor,
Publisher: Routledge: Taylor and Francis Group, New York.
Entry: ride the short bus,
Quote Page 1615

[Begin excerpt]
ride the short bus
to be mentally deficient US
>From the literally short bus that special education students use in the US.

Actually, I think our bass player, Frank [Cavanaugh], rode the short
bus, but that was 'cause his mom drove it =E2=80=94 Baltimore sun, p. 8, 28=
th
September 1995

=E2=80=94Chris Lewis, The Dictionary of Playground Slang p 184, 2003
[End excerpt]