[Ads-l] "Read the room"

Thu May 20 14:27:11 UTC 2021

Perhaps "reading a room" was derived via a generalization mechanism
from "reading an individual".  Below is a 1971 citation for reading a
person.

Date: April 20, 1971
Newspaper: Pottsville Republican
Newspaper Location: Pottsville, Pennsylvania
Article: Horoscope
Author: Stella Wilder
Quote Page 13, Column 4
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
Although you are intelligent enough to argue and win the point, you
take no pleasure out of battles of wits. You would prefer to read a
good book than to try to read another person, just as you would favor
an evening of good music over an evening of listening to views with
which you find it impossible to agree.
[End excerpt]