[Ads-l] "short-bus people"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 20 22:32:24 UTC 2021

As for "short dog," the expression appears to predate Greyhound busses.

There are numerous references to train routes rederred to as "short dogs" in the early 1900s.

The usage is not always consistent, sometimes referring to a particular route, sometimes to any short route, and sometimes to a style of train car used on local routes.

In this example, they are discussing locomotive engineer pay on short routes or specials.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/78049323/the-tennessean/
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 6:30:26 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: "short-bus people"

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>

I vaguely remembered hearing about a short story that referred to a
short bus as a short dog. Eventually, my memory was coaxed into
revealing the name of the famous story which used "short dog" in the
title. A bibliography for James Still, the author of the tale,
indicated that the story was first published in 1951.

Short story title: A Ride on the Short Dog
Author: James Still
[Begin excerpt]
The vehicle was scarcely half the length of regular buses=E2=80=94The Short
Dog everybody called it.
[End excerpt]

http://faculty.csupueblo.edu/sandy.hudock/biblio.html
A James Still Bibliography
"A Ride on the Short Dog." Atlantic 188, no. 1 (July 1951):55-58.

Garson

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 11:04 PM Peter Reitan <pjreitan at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Pretty certain we had a short bus for special ed students in my small, ru=
ral hometown that dozens of regular sized busses coming in from the country=
 in the 1960s.

S.