[Ads-l] Zoar survivor quote=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=94Errol_?=Morris versions

Mon May 31 16:48:39 UTC 2021

There is a match for the quotation in a 1995 book that contains a
reprint of a profile of Errol Morris written by journalist Mark
Singer. The reprint is from a collection titled "Mr. Personality" by
Singer, but the original source is "The New Yorker".

The website of "The New Yorker" indicates that the profile of Errol
Morris by Mark Singer was titled "Predilections" and it appeared in
the February 6, 1989 issue.

I have not verified the text in "The New Yorker". I currently do not
have access to "The New Yorker", but some other list member might be
able to check it. Of course, this is not direct evidence that the
quotation was employed by a Zoarite. It simply suggests that Errol
Morris was propagating it circa 1989.

Year: 1995
Book: Literary Journalism: A New Collection of the Best American Nonfiction
Editors: Norman Sims, ‎Mark Kramer
Publisher: Ballantine Books, New York
Quote Page 295
Database: Google Books Preview

Bibliographical Note: “Errol Morris: Predilections" from Mr.
Personality by Mark Singer. Copyright © 1989 by Mark Singer. Reprinted
by permission. Originally in The New Yorker.

[Begin excerpt]
“My favorite line in Dr. Death, I think, will be when the last living
Zoarite is quoted as saying, 'Think of it—all those religions. They
can't all be right. But they could all be wrong,” Morris said.
. . .
At the time this Profile was published in The New Yorker, in February
1989, a decision about Randall Adams' legal fate, although imminent .
. .
[End excerpt]