[Ads-l] The English Language is the Enemy of the People

Katherine Flowers katherine.flowers at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 10 17:06:05 UTC 2021

Thanks to everyone for highlighting Asao Inoue's work on labor-based
grading. In response to the question of how his grading system is
structured, I would recommend some of his recent books, two of which were
published open-access:

   1. His award-winning 2015 book *Antiracist Writing Assessment Ecologies:
   Teaching and Assessing Writing for a Socially Just Future*, published
   through Parlor Press,
   https://wac.colostate.edu/docs/books/inoue/ecologies.pdf
   2. His 2019 book *Labor-Based Grading Contracts: Building Equity and
   Inclusion in the Compassionate Writing Classroom*, published through the
   University Press of Colorado,
   https://wac.colostate.edu/docs/books/labor/contracts.pdf
   3. His 2021 book *Above the Well: An Antiracist Argument from a Boy of
   Color*, https://wac.colostate.edu/books/perspectives/above/

I would also recommend a podcast interview from 2019:
https://www.pedagoguepodcast.com/blog/episode-12-asao-b-inoue

-Katherine

Katherine Flowers
Assistant Professor of English