[Ads-l] help wanted: information on a mid-18th C English dictionary

Bill Mullins amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 4 14:35:28 UTC 2021

>  There are a few entries by "a Society of Gentlemen".  As these are at irregular intervals and in different places, I think that it was a means of staying anonymous.

Repeating what I said Friday, "A Society of Gentlemen" is a common way for patrons, publishers and sponsors of various books and magazines to describe themselves.  In Newspapers.com, one sees dozens/hundreds of publications issued this way from the 18th century to the present.  It might as well mean "a bunch of dudes".