[Ads-l] Wrong preposition creates impossible situation

dave@wilton.net dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Oct 21 16:42:42 UTC 2021

This seems completely in line with the notion that pregnancy and the birthing process is, ideally at least, a shared endeavor, as in "we're pregnant," or "we're having a baby."

What is the alternative? "By her boyfriend" strips Julia of agency in the process and makes it something her boyfriend did to her.

It would be interesting to know how the 1996 show plotted out the situation.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Marc Sacks" <msacksg at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2021 10:53am
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: [ADS-L] Wrong preposition creates impossible situation

The following sentence appears in an article on Vox about how abortion is
portrayed on television:

In “Before and After,” which aired in 1996, 16-year-old Julia gets pregnant
with her high school boyfriend.

I imagine that the delivery, not to mention the relationship, would have
been extremely difficult.

--Marc Sacks