[Ads-l] Words: skimpflation and shrinkflation

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 31 15:13:05 UTC 2021

I think "skimpage" is better than "shrinkage" which already has Seinfeld connotations.  As Elaine said "It shrinks?"

Tom Zurinskas,  Originally from SW Conn 20 yrs,  college NE Tenn 3,  work SE NJ  33,  resides SE Florida 18...  truespel.com

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2021 11:17 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Words: skimpflation and shrinkflation

The terms skimpflation and shrinkflation refer to types of inflation

Website: NPR
Article title: Meet skimpflation: A reason inflation is worse than the
government says it is
Article author: Greg Rosalsky
Date on website: October 26, 2021
Accessed npr.org on Ocotber 31, 2021

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2021/10/26/1048892388/meet-skimpflation-a-reason-inflation-is-worse-than-the-government-says-it-is

[Begin excerpt]
The economywide decline in service quality that we're now seeing is
something different, and it doesn't have a good name. It's a situation
where we're paying the same or more for services, but they kinda suck
compared with what they used to be. We propose a new word to describe
this stealth-ninja kind of inflation: skimpflation. It's when, instead
of simply raising prices, companies skimp on the goods and services
they provide.
[End excerpt]

[Begin excerpt]
. . . shrinkflation. That's when the price of stuff stays the same,
but the amount you get goes down.
[End excerpt]

Garson