[Ads-l] retronym?

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Wed Sep 1 18:25:02 UTC 2021

The WSJ article (source of the Yahoo aggregation) does mention a
"bullhorn" (megaphone) rather than a "blow horn":

"When curious locals came too close, Mohammed would use a bullhorn to
tell them to go away."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/afghan-interpreter-who-helped-rescue-biden-in-2008-left-behind-after-u-s-exit-11630429285

On 9/1/21 10:46 AM, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
> A blow horn can also mean a megaphone, so shooing away spectators could
> mean telling them to go away.
>
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2021, 12:29 PM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> MW:
>>
>> "a pneumatic horn (as on a motor vehicle or diesel locomotive)."
>>
>> Hence, one of those air-powered canister horns that obnoxious fans blast at
>> sporting events.
>>
>> JL
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 11:05 AM jim mcmurtry <
>> 00000e551e9318c8-dmarc-request at listserv.uga.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Air horn?
>>>

>>>     On Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 07:06:46 AM EDT, Jonathan Lighter <
>>> wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>> https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house-responds-plea-interpreter-234051930.html
>>>
>>> "At the scene, Mohammed stood guard with Afghan Army soldiers on one side
>>> of the helicopter, according to the Journal, and used a blow horn to shoo
>>> off spectators."
>>>
>>> A bugle?
>>>
>>> JL
>>>
>>> --
>>> "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the
>> truth."

>> --
>> "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the truth."

James Eric Lawson