[Ads-l] jitney

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Sep 10 10:11:15 UTC 2021

My apology for the duplicate. Lately I've searched for things I assumed were in the archive but didn't find them, which may have added to my heedless neglect to check.
Stephen

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 11:39 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: jitney

This is about a different topic than indicated in the subject line.

Stephen Goranson wrote:
> PS An interdating of New Yale Book of Quotations: 1970, The
> American University: A Public Administration Perspective, p. 31:
> We can no longer use our little joke that campus politics are so
> nasty because the stakes are so small. They are now so nasty
> because the stakes are so high.

I explored this topic back in 2011. The earliest 1969 citation and the
1970 interdating were posted on this list back in 2011. The QI article
from 2013 also includes these citations.

Quote about academia: worst of all kinds of politics because the
stakes were so small (Charles Frankel 1969)
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2011-March/108012.html__;!!OToaGQ!--06Xfr6CGA_UXb9lDTXMlt3zpIz72k0UmtYxZ3-3RWGApaBm604cSxfGQeVbCRL$

Academic Politics Are So Vicious Because the Stakes Are So Small
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/08/18/acad-politics/__;!!OToaGQ!--06Xfr6CGA_UXb9lDTXMlt3zpIz72k0UmtYxZ3-3RWGApaBm604cSxfGZGl0Uj4$

Garson