[Ads-l] punching up/down

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 1 04:25:04 UTC 2022

A lot of the results from that Google search are for a 1990 interview that
Carlin did with Larry King on CNN, talking about Andrew Dice Clay. Carlin
doesn't actually say comedians like Clay should "punch up" and not "punch
down" in that interview -- though the sentiment is there, which is why the
video clip gets labeled that way retrospectively, e.g.:

https://isitfunnyoroffensive.com/george-carlin-didn't-like-comedians-punching-down/
<https://isitfunnyoroffensive.com/george-carlin-didnt-like-comedians-punching-down/>

(includes transcribed excerpts of the interview)

When I researched this, I didn't come across any verifiable examples of
Carlin using the expression. (He died in 2008, a couple of years before the
earliest examples I found in the context of comedy.) Carlin did have a bit
on his 1978 concert album "On the Road" about the violent language used to
describe stand-up comedy, though that was long before "punching up/down"
had entered comedy parlance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMQkXUht_hQ
Comics are supposed to worry about dying, you know? I don't want to die out
there, man. Jeez, I was dying. It was death out there. Like a morgue. On
the other hand, if he succeeds -- if he makes you laugh -- he can say, "I
killed 'em! Knocked 'em dead!" Why is there so much violence mixed up with
comedy, you know, which should be so much fun? It's all dying and bombing.
He bombed. Or else he was a riot! A real scream! Aaaugh! I cracked up
laughing! He broke me up, too. I busted a gut laughing! My friend was in
stitches! He fractures me with his punch lines...and his gags! Slapstick!
Knee-slapping! Side-splitting! Rib-splitting! Gut-busting! Laugh... I
thought I'd die.

--bgz