[Ads-l] Jesse on the Beeb

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Apr 8 15:02:47 UTC 2022

Thanks so much! He was a very good interviewer. And the audience was good too; in the interview we discussed a term that I'd long used as an example of something too narrow to include (the word _jaunt_ 'to teleport', which is from Alfred Bester's _The Stars My Destination_), but several people wrote in to say that it was also used in The Tomorrow People, an early-'70s British childrens' SF TV series, which I'd never seen (not having been a child in the UK in the early '70s), and I was able to find an example from there and other sources, and ended up publishing the entry.

The entire series ("Word of Mouth") is rather good, and there have been other notable language-y guests on (John McWhorter, Ralph Keyes, Jonathon Green, David Crystal, etc.).

Jesse