[Ads-l] "snupper" - derivation and definition?

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Sun Jan 9 20:47:38 UTC 2022

OED and Bartlett (_Dictionary of Americanisms_, 1848, 1859) derive this
sense of 'snoop' from Dutch (and Low German). Modern Dutch 'snup' (long
u) translates as 'grab'. Bartlett in 1859 (and possibly 1848) describes
the use as "peculiar to New York".

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015005262970&view=1up&seq=465&q1=snoop

See OED 'snoop', intransitive sense 1, "To appropriate and consume
dainties in a clandestine manner. U.S." and the later development,
transitive sense 3, "To steal, to misappropriate."

James Eric Lawson