[Ads-l] lurker (1983)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 9 21:50:44 UTC 2022

I wonder if the negative connotations of the non-electronic uses of the verb “lurk” are creeping back in. In the early generative semantics literature of the late 60s and early 70s, it was observed (by J. R. “Haj” Ross, if I remember correctly) that first person uses of “lurk” are odd—you can accuse others of lurking in a culvert, but you wouldn’t describe yourself that way. (This was related to an argument for abstract levels of structure I won’t go into here.) So the pejorative nature of lurking would be hard-wired into the verb, and by extension the agentive nominal, even if they were bleached out in the early online usage.

LH