[Ads-l] "The whole Mary Ann" again (1909, 1923-1925)

Bonnie Taylor-Blake b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 11 17:03:12 UTC 2022

Not sure there's much interest in this weird west-coast (?) idiom, but I
thought I'd forge ahead ...

A couple of days ago I pushed "the whole Mary Ann" back to 1944, Coos Bay,
Oregon.

Yesterday I found some usages of the idiom in a Eureka, California
newspaper in 1909 and then again from 1923-1925. See below.

Eureka, in northern California, is separated by about 200 miles from Coos
Bay as the crow flies. Both are located on the coast.

I still have no idea what, if anything, "Mary Ann" refers to. Possibly a
wagon or cart or boat or some other kind of transport? A (silver or gold)
mine? Something else? Nothing?

-- Bonnie

(The following were found in UCR's California Digital Newspaper Collection,
https://cdnc.ucr.edu/.)

A BIG BARGAIN if taken in a few days. A choice building site of four lots,
fenced, clear, level, sightly, only $900, for the whole Mary Ann. See
BAKER, 608 Second St. (A classified ad appearing in The Daily Humboldt
Times [Eureka, CA], 6 January 1909, p. 7.)

We couldn't make satisfactory terms for the loan of Barney [the dog],
because there wasn't no part of Herrick's clothes that would be any good to
me without calling in a tent maker to make 'em smaller, and besides,
Westphal wanted the whole Mary Ann, which would have left me shivering in
nothing at all, and it's cold nights. (From The Rambler's "Such is Life"
column, The Humboldt Times, 25 July 1923, p. 5.)

In the four years my brother and I have been operating a truck line over
this territory and we have chosen this spot as the best of the whole "Mary
Ann." (From "Redway is name of new summer home division," The Humboldt
Times, 26 August 1923, p. 3.)

Again the blade of the butter knife ordinarilly [sic] has a number of
serations [sic] which serve the double purpose of cutting a tough crust
without skidding the whole Mary Ann into the lap of a neighbor, and tending
to somewhat muffle the natural sounds arising from the free consumption of
this popular dish. (From The Rambler's "Such is Life" column, The Humboldt
Times, 20 April 1924, p. 5.)

CLOSE IN HOME SNAP -- Close to the Post Office, 5 room cottage, bath and
tubs, new paper, good paint, cement walks and a new woodshed and new
garage, the whole Mary Ann for $2,000. (A classified ad appearing in The
Humboldt Times, October 1925, p. 8.)

A couple of years ago, I looked for appearances of "the whole Mary Ann" --