[Ads-l] Word: Amazonification

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Mar 2 17:29:02 UTC 2022

I would argue that the examples with Whole Foods are standard uses of -ify/-ification in connection with the integration of an acquired company and could apply to any acquirer, while examples such as the one from Scale VP are specific to Amazon and might be seen as the counterpart to the relatively more common term Walmartification.

John Baker

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> On Behalf Of Nancy Friedman
Sent: Wednesday, March 2, 2022 12:23 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Word: Amazonification

External Email - Think Before You Click

Financial Times, Sept. 5, 2017: "Is Amazonification Real?"
https://www.ft.com/content/ac8f5812-a8a7-35ce-8acf-7e3d96c2ea0d<https://www.ft.com/content/ac8f5812-a8a7-35ce-8acf-7e3d96c2ea0d>

Scale VP, May 25, 2016: "The Amazonification of Commerce" ("This trend of
using third-party software to keep pace with Amazon is what we call
the *Amazonification
of Commerce.*")

The Times has used "Amazonification" several times in the past. The first
usage was in 2018 (also in connection with Whole Foods).
https://www.nytimes.com/search?query=amazonification<https://www.nytimes.com/search?query=amazonification>

https://www.scalevp.com/blog/the-amazonification-of-commerce<https://www.scalevp.com/blog/the-amazonification-of-commerce>

Nancy Friedman
Chief Wordworker