[Ads-l] "yes and" improv(isation)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 10 11:06:28 UTC 2022

Thanks, Garson. The "yes, but..." version may owe something to the writings
of the psychologist Alfred Adler on neurosis:

https://www.adlerpedia.org/concepts/68

...as well as the "transactional analysis" of Eric Berne, popularized in
his 1964 book _Games People Play_. One of the transactional "mind games"
discussed by Berne is called "Why Don't You - Yes But."

https://ericberne.com/games-people-play/why-dont-you-yes-but/

I can see how "yes, and..." could have emerged contrastively from these
"yes, but..." precursors.

--bgz