[Ads-l] Possible precursor to Huxley (1885) on witnesses as liars, experts

Mon Mar 14 12:28:17 UTC 2022

Mark Mandel  wrote:
> I mentally misread this excerpt for a moment:
> “Experts of every variety have pet crochets, theories, and systems….”
>
> Nowadays, of course, we write "crotchets" and pronounce it accordingly,
> /'krɒtʃɪts/, and "crochet" is pronounced approximately as in French and
> refers to a fabric craft.
> Was it spelled with "och" in the article, or was that a slip of the finger?

The text in the book uses "pet crotchets, theories and systems".

Year: 1881
Title: Hints on Advocacy: Intended for Practitioners in Civil and
Criminal Courts
Author: Richard Harris (Barrister at Law of the Middle Temple and
Midland Circuit)
Second Author: William L Murfree (who revised and enlarged the book)
Edition: Second American from the Fourth English Edition
Publisher: William H. Stevenson, St. Louis, Missouri
Database: Google Books Full View
Chapter 4: The Classes of Witnesses
Quote Page 73 and 50

https://books.google.com/books?id=alBGAQAAIAAJ&q=%22Experts+of%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
As to the examination or cross-examination of an "expert," it is the
duty of the counsel to see that the opinion of the witness is based
upon the facts that have appeared in the evidence; for these are the
symptoms which it is his function to diagnose. Experts of every
variety have pet crotchets, theories and systems, by which they are
exceedingly prone to solve all knotty questions that may be presented
in their art or science, and this they do in perfect innocence unless
restrained by the watchfulness of the court or counsel.
[End excerpt]

Here are the different types of witnesses listed in chapter four of the book.

[Begin excerpt]
Chapter IV:--The Classes of Witnesses
40 The Lying Witness
41 The Flippant Witness