[Ads-l] Off-topic: Cyrillic vs. Roman Writing

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 20 17:42:17 UTC 2022

I'm attaching a link below that deciphers Russian military letter markings.
I've been surprised that this particular story hasn't got more air, as it's
the only story that lists the full range of marks, whereas most stories
only mention Z and V (if that).

Aside from that, Russians and pro-Russian westerners have been using the Z
for the past three weeks in the same way Stars-and-Bars tend to be used.
Since several sports associations have banned the use of Russian flags and
other insignia in competition, some Russian athletes have resorted to
homemade Z signs pinned to their uniforms. Some have now been banned for
that display as well, most notably a Russian gymnast at a world cup event.

For the part-time semioticians and sociologists among us all this is
significant, although it's still rather peripheral to language discussion.

https://sofrep.com/news/what-do-those-letters-mean-on-russian-tanks-and-vehicles/

VS-)