[Ads-l] Not in the OED -- perhaps with good reason

Daphne Preston-Kendal dpk at NONCEWORD.ORG
Thu May 5 08:47:25 UTC 2022

On 11 Apr 2022, at 22:01, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:

> "Throuple" is well-established in certain um...circles. Or triangles.  By
> no means nonce, although I expect some last longer than others. Google it.

Is there really a reason for this coyness? If we can talk about all kinds of insults and swear words, we can surely talk about words about polyamory without a blush.

Checking my usual sources, Franklin Veaux’s polyamory glossary added the variant ‘trouple’ in 2012 — it’s in this copy from June 2012 but not the previous WayBack Machine copy from May:
<https://web.archive.org/web/20120618000329/http://www.morethantwo.com:80/polyglossary.html>

A search shows up this 2012 NY Mag article with ‘throuple’ itself:
<https://nymag.com/news/features/sex/2012/benny-morecock-throuple/>

--
dpk (Daphne Preston-Kendal) ·· 12107 Berlin, Germany ·· http://dpk.io/
  We have reached the third degree where we devote our intelligences to