[Ads-l] Haligonian

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed May 11 18:37:14 UTC 2022

Scandihoovian

Iowegian is a name I’ve heard for a specific, ethnic subset of Iowans.

(Although I woulda thought “demonyms” were words like devil, imp, satyr and satan – hey, I’m on a synonym roll!)

From: ADSGarson O'Toole<mailto:adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2022 11:26 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Haligonian

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>

A few more irregular demonyms

Monaco, Mon=C3=A9gasque
Mexico City, Capitalino
Barbados, Bajan
Madagascar, Malagasy
Ivory Coast (or Cote d=E2=80=99Ivoire), Ivorian

The following page lists some well-known irregular demonyms
Teflpedia: The wiki of English teaching
https://teflpedia.com/Irregular_demonym

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 1:58 PM Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrot=
e: