[Ads-l] What Is Second Oldest Citation for "Jazz" (Musical Genre) ?

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat May 21 15:31:37 UTC 2022

I'm just noodling around this morning.  One idle-curiosity question I have is, what is the second-oldest occurrence of "jazz" meaning a music genre ?  (The earliest, discovered by me, is in the Chicago Tribune in 1915.)

The earliest such citation I find in a little bit of checking Newspapers.com and America's Historical Newspapers is in a Sacramento newspaper, Apr. 24, 1916.  Does anyone know of anything before that ?

Fred Shapiro